Friday 10 June 2011

Bill Granger's Curried Chicken Rice

This is a fantastic, low fuss mid-week meal.  I made it last night so that it would cover meals for a couple of nights while I went interstate for work.  My only change from the recipe is that I use 8 chicken thigh fillets, rather than the 1kg chicken pieces on the bone with skin.  I'm sure the chicken on the bone would be a little juicier, however I prefer it without any bones or skin.  I also love to use the Herbies curry powder mix - it's a little more interesting than the standard ones from the supermarket.  When you're coating your chicken with the curry powder, I use a large clean plastic bag to shake everything around in.  I find it cleaner and easier than using a separate bowl.  Do whatever works best for you!

1kg chicken pieces on the bone, with skin
2 tbsp Indian curry powder
1 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, chopped
2 garlic gloves, crushed
300g basmati rice
750ml chicken stock

To serve
150g plain yoghurt
cucumber and lime salad (recipe below)

Preheat oven to 200 degrees C (400 degrees F).
Put the chicken in a large bowl, add the curry powder and toss to coat well.
Place a heavy-based casserole pan with tight fitting lid over medium heat.
Add the oil and chicken pieces and cook until they are sealed and browned all over.
Remove the chicken to a place.
Add the onion and garlic to the casserole and cook until the onion is soft and pale golden.
Add the rice, stir to combine and cook for 2 minutes.
Put the chicken back into the casserole in a single layer over the rice and carefully pour in the stock.
Put on the lid and bake in the oven for 45 minutes of until the rice is tender and has absorbed all the liquid and the chicken is cooked through.
Serve with yoghurt and cucumber and lime salad.
Serves 4.

Cucumber and Lime Salad
Toss together 2 chopped Lebanese cucumbers, 3 sliced spring onions, and a small handful of whole mint leaves.  Dress with 1 tbsp of olive oil, the juice of a lime and a dash of sea salt.

Bill Granger, Simply Bill, Page 21.


Straight out of the oven...
Preparing the cucumber and lime salad 
All on the plate with plain yoghurt

1 comment:

  1. I’m so glad I found this recipe. I had it cut out from a Delicious Magazine. I used to cook it reasonably regularly but then somehow lost the recipe. I did remember it.
    It is nice to know that it is Bill Granger recipe. It wasn’t acknowledged on the page I had. So sad he recently passed.

    ReplyDelete