Sunday 24 July 2011

Indian Fish Curry

I'm not sure who this recipe is by, Mum gave me a photocopy of it a while ago and I've loved making it - the flavours are so good!  Let me know if you know who's recipe it is, I think it might be from an old Good Weekend...?

It's a great mid-week or anytime meal as it is fairly quick to prepare, I made it on Friday night when a girlfriend came down to visit for the weekend and I knew I wouldn't have time to cook something that needed a lot of preparation or cooking time.

In terms of fish, I usually use blue-eye but another thick white fish fillet that won't fall apart would work well too.  I served it with green beans and some baked chapati bread (cooked in the Jamie Oliver style - see Rogan Josh recipe).  The curry didn't disappoint!

750g white fish fillets, skinned
1/2 tsp ground turmeric
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 onion, finely sliced
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 thumb of ginger, grated
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 ground tumeric
1/2 tsp ground fenugreek
1/2tsp dried chilli flakes
300ml coconut milk
300ml fish stock or water
1 tbsp tamarind puree
1 tbsp tomato paste
1 tsp salt
1 tsp soft brown sugar
few sprigs fresh coriander

Cut the fish into bite-sized chunks and toss with the turmeric and salt.
Heat the oil in a heavy-bottomed pan and fry the sliced onion until soft but not coloured.
Add the garlic and ginger, and fry for 1 minute, stirring.
Add the ground coriander, cumin, turmeric, fenugreek and dried chilli, stirring well until dark and fragrant.
Add the coconut milk, fish stock, tamarind, tomato paste, salt and sugar and heat gently, stirring.
Simmer uncovered for 10 minutes.
Add the fish and simmer for 5 minutes or until cooked.
Remove from heat, scatter with coriander and serve with steamed basmati rice or saffron rice palao.
Serves 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment